Traffic and Income reports are one of my favorite things to read from other bloggers, so to keep us accountable for our goals (in the spirit of being productive) we’ve decided to share as well! This blog was never intended to become a full time job or even a major source of income, but we still think it will be fun to track.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see our disclosures here.
Please keep in mind we launched this blog on February 2, 2016. Parenthesis note change from previous month.
- Pageviews: 117,236 (+145.92%)
- Sessions: 76,517 (152.60%)
- Average Session Duration: 1:09 (-12.66%)
- Bounce Rate: 78.56 (-.38% — you want the bounce rate to go down)
- New Sessions: 71.3% (+4.26%)
- Highest Traffic Day: 6,295 (+166.62%)
Insane month in terms of increases in page views and sessions. Still attributing a lot of it to things I learned in “Building a Framework” (post on it here) and things Liz learned in Part Time Blogger, Full time Income.
I feel like we are working too hard for traffic though — meaning, I’m still not feeling like we have a consistent audience based on our bounce rate and number of new visitors.
Now let’s take a look at where they came from..
June Traffic Sources
- Social: 76.2% (+5.25%)
- Pinterest: 88.26% (+11.62%)
- Facebook: 9.92% (+16.02%)
- reddit: 0.86% (-91.04%)
- Instagram: 0.60% (-74.25%)
- Stumbleupon: 0.18% (+12.5%)
- Twitter: 0.13% (+8.33%)
- Direct: 14.9% (-28.05%)
- Referral: 1% (-11.5%)
- Organic Search: 8% (+37.93%)
A few notes on social:
- Instagram: I think this one is an error. We know that Instagram does not register as social (but as direct) in Analytics. I had a hack for this I used (and linked to) in previous months but made a change this month. I’m going to track this going forward to see if that is the case.
- Reddit: I think we’ve officially given up on reddit. Even when I try to engage with people there, when we leave a link we are scolded. But we see others do it — and see it on income reports — yet we just can’t quite figure it out.
- Twitter and Stumbleupon are new additions this month!
Social Media Report
June Social Media Growth
- Instagram: 3,472 (+20.89%)
- Pinterest: 2,901 (+175.24%)
- Facebook Page: 199 (+423.68%)
- Newsletter Subscribers: 1,317 (+151.34%)
Now let’s chat more about some of this growth. Tailwind and BoardBooster have been insanely helpful with growing both our Pinterest following, and traffic from Pinterest. I researched for hours on which to use, and ultimately I decided it was worth using both. Boy, was I right!
We are also jumping on the Convertkit love bandwagon. I never thought I would be so excited to pay for an email list, but they are seriously awesome. In the last week of the month, we also installed SumoMe which gave us a big spike in newsletter subscribers.
Profit and Loss Report
- Amazon Affiliates (6/1 – 6/30): $386.78
- Google Adsense: $19.93 (took down after first week)
- Mediavine: (Our new ad network) $488.78
- Framework Affiliate: $30.00
- Total Gross Income: $925.49 (+324.86%)
- Tailwind: $15.00
- Board Booster: $5.00
- PO Box: $53.00
- Legal Forms: $30.00
- Convertkit: $0 (Free 30 day trial)
- Total Spend: $103.00 (-8.2%)
Please note: Jen owned a web hosting plan for other sites ($106.88 yearly), and the Genesis framework ($59.95) prior to this blog launching so we didn’t actually have to pay these amounts to launch this particular site. The WordPress Theme (37.46) was purchased in February 2016. We decided to still share so you would understand what the cost would be should you start from scratch.
Total Net Profit: $822.49 (+635.42%)
- Total # of posts published: 10
- Most popular posts in May:
Goals for June
Switch to ConvertKit Set up email sequences Send Monthly Newsletter Maintain 1 week of blog posts scheduled in advance (Liz) – Migrated from March Increase blog traffic numbers Grow Facebook page Improve blog design
Goals for Next Month
- Increase blog traffic numbers
- Build upon email sequences by adding at least one
- Send Monthly Newsletter
- Blogger collaboration
Let us know if you like seeing this – I know a lot of people have been curious about how blogs work behind the scenes!
Get Instant Access to our FREE Resource Library
Sign up to receive our newsletter and you'll get free printables and exclusive content through our members-only resource library!